Course PCN WI-1 PCN Welding Inspector Level 1 Training and Examination package
Duration: 2 days + 0.5 day examination
Course overview: Based on the syllabus requirements of PCN I&T (GEN), the training course provides thorough training and qualification for welding inspection personnel including technicians, inspectors, and engineers called upon to witness, supervise or conduct visual welding inspection activities.
The course satisfies the formal training element of the requirements of PCN and hence is the basic foundation for PCN Welding Inspector qualification(s).
Practical aspects are emphasised by ensuring that theoretical training is complemented with practical sessions concerning the details of welding inspection, including joint fit-up and weldments including butt and fillet welds under the guidance of a qualified tutor/instructor.
Course members are introduced to the variety of practical applications associated with visual inspection of welds, paving the way for career development opportunities at PCN Welding Inspector level 2 following further experience and training.
Course content Level 1
Principles of Welding Inspection; Basics of welding processes; controls and functions of welding equipment; correct set-up of welding parameters and their control;
calibration and validation requirements; health and safety aspects; testing techniques
prioritizing welding imperfections and assessment of workmanship; reporting of results
imperfection / defect types; detectability of imperfections/defects; factors affecting the performance of welding inspection; codes of practice and standards; conducting and recording the test; practical assessment of welded and non welded joints
Course outcomes: On completion of the course you will be able to:
- Understand welding terminology and definitions related to visual inspection.
- Correctly assess various welded joints for features and imperfections
- Identify weld features and weld characteristics associated with arc welds
- Apply a given acceptance criteria for welding imperfections and sentence welds
- Produce a weld inspection report and provides appropriate details of inspection
- Appreciate different welding processes and their features.
- Appreciate typical welding documents that aid effective visual inspection
- Appreciate the content of a Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) and its influence on visual inspection.
Suitable for: All inspection personnel, engineers, supervisors, welding inspectors who are required to carry out visual inspections of welded joints by holding an internationally recognised qualification in visual inspection of welded joints.