Course WD-1 Effective Welding Design
Duration: 2 Days
Course overview: This course is specifically aimed at design personnel who need to be able to understand the interaction of welding technology and weld design with structural/mechanical design concepts. The course also provides a very good overview of welding technology which makes the training suitable for other non design personnel.
Course content:Welding terminology; welding processes: features for selection and design considerations; edge preparations & joint design selection; application of weld symbols; material and consumable selection; concepts of weldability; welding procedures and qualification; distortion and residual stresses; fatigue and brittle fracture; NDT techniques and design considerations; case studies for effective welding design.
Non welding and welding design personnel, CAD personnel, welding engineers and welding supervisors who are required to understand the technical considerations of welding design
On completion of the course you will be able to:
- Understand the interaction of various welding technology topics that influence effective weld design
- Apply weld symbols effectively and correctly to engineering drawings.
- Appreciate advantages and limitations of welding processes in relation to design
- Deduce suitable joint designs for a given welding processes and applications.
- Understand welding process applications and their impact on quality and productivity.
- Understand how weld design can affect welding procedures and qualification testing requirements and costs.
- Understand joint design concepts for improving fatigue life and minimising the risk of brittle fracture.
- Understand different weldability problems of various materials and the basis for welding consumable selection.
- Appreciate how health and safety requirements may influence weld design choices.
- Understand the effects of residual stress on distortion and the techniques for distortion control.
- Identify the main welding defects seen in welded joints and how they affect quality categories of welds
- Appreciate the implication of non-destructive testing and its influence on effective weld design.